Police seek permission to try juvenile accused as an adult | mumbai news | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 30, 2017-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Police seek permission to try juvenile accused as an adult

mumbai Updated: Sep 03, 2016 01:03 IST
HT Correspondent
Vilas Shinde

Head constable Vilas Shinde’s colleagues pay their last respects at his residence at Worli in Mumbai on Wednesday.(Prashant Waydande)

The Khar police on Friday sought permission from the Juvenile Justice Board (JJB) at Dongri to try the 17-year-old accused as an adult for his alleged involvement in the murder of traffic head constable Vilas Shinde, 51. The minor and his 20-year-old brother Ahmed Mohammad Ali Qureshi have been booked on murder charges after Shinde succumbed to his head injures in the intensive care unit of Lilavati hospital on Wednesday around 1.45pm, nearly nine days after the incident.

“We have sought permission from the JJB to try the juvenile as an adult in the case,” said Mumbai police spokesperson and deputy commissioner of police, Ashok Dudhe.

In another development on Friday, Qureshi, 20 — who had been remanded to judicial custody — was produced before a magistrate’s court in Bandra. He was sent to police custody till September 6. Earlier, Qureshi was arrested on an attempt to murder charge. After spending five to six days in police lock-up, he was sent to Arthur Road jail.

The police have sought the custody of Qureshi as they want to record a detailed statement, considering the seriousness of the offence. They said they want to check his mobile phone to find out if he clicked pictures or took videos of the incident. The mobile will be sent to the forensic lab. They want to check who he contacted after the incident and why he contacted them. They have also recovered a diary from Qureshi. The complainant in the case is a policeman who witnessed the incident. After hitting Shinde on his head, Qureshi kicked him when he fell down. He then pulled out the keys from the policeman’s back pocket and fled with his brother.

The attack took place on August 23 around 3.15pm at a petrol pump near Rajasthan Hotel on SV road, Khar (West). Shinde was entrusted with taking down the details of motorists as part of the e-challan system that will be implemented soon. Shinde stopped a minor who was driving a bike and asked him to call his parents as underage driving is illegal. The minor called his brother, Qureshi, and exaggerated the incident. This enraged Qureshi, who hit Shinde with a wooden stick on the back of his head. Qureshi was arrested the next day from Belapur.