Leptospirosis claimed its fifth victim in Mumbai this monsoon. An 18-year-old girl from Govandi died last week, according to the municipal corporation.
The girl was admitted to Lokmanya Tilak Municipal General Hospital, Sion, on August 1 after she developed fever and vomiting, but succumbed to the infection five days later.
Leptospirosis is caused by a bacteria present in the urine of animals such as rats, dogs and cattle. People get infected when they wade through flooded streets. The bacteria can enter the body through open wounds. The number of cases go up during monsoons because of flooding.
This monsoon, five leptospirosis deaths have been reported by the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC). Civic officials said the number of deaths this monsoon have been fewer than last year.
“We had recorded around 16 leptospirosis deaths last year, however this year, there have only been five. Maybe because there has been less water logging this year,” said a civic official. Last year, 43 cases of leptospirosis were reported in the first week of August as compared to 18 cases this year.
“This year, the cases have been reported from different parts of the city, and are not localised,” said an official.
Public Health officials said they have surveyed 2,500 houses in Govandi, out of which 25 people reported having fever. All of them were asked to visit local dispensaries for treatment.