About 48 candidates from the Shiv Sena will have to contest as independent candidates at the Nagpur and Nashik municipal corporation elections as they did not receive AB forms (an authenticity certificate issued by parties).
The party has decided to approach election authorities, saying that it was a conspiracy of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) that made sure that the forms did not reach about 40 Sena candidates in Nagpur and about eight in Nashik.
In Nashik, Shiv Sena’s AB forms could not reach four candidates; the same number were pronounced invalid because they were photocopies and the wrong ink had been used. Shiv Sena leader Anil Desai, who reached Nashik on Monday, said the party was thinking of moving the election commission.
In another case, the Nashik election authorities have ordered a scrutiny into an allegation that a BJP functionary demanded Rs2 lakh to secure candidature. The complaint was lodged after a video of money being demanded from the aspirant for the party ticket in the municipal corporation elections to be held on February 21 went viral on Saturday. Congress lodged a complaint with the authorities.
According to officials from the municipal corporation, the authorities on Sunday received a complaint from the Congress for action against BJP’s general secretary Nana Shiledar for violation of the code of conduct. The aspirant was asked to pay the amount in cash or by cheque. The party’s local MLA Devyani Pharande had claimed that the fund was officially sought for the campaign.
“We have received the complaint from the Congress and have forwarded it to the branch dealing with the violation of code of conduct for the scrutiny. Necessary action would be taken if the primary scrutiny finds violation,” said an official from the election branch of the Nashik Municipal Corporation.
Officials from the state Election Commission said that action would be taken at the local level and a report will be submitted to the Commission if action was initiated.