Mumbai: FYJC admissions deadline extended to June 29 | mumbai news | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Oct 24, 2017-Tuesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Mumbai: FYJC admissions deadline extended to June 29

Mumbai city news: Maharashtra education department extended the deadline on Tuesday to compensate for the time lost after its website crashed repeatedly last week.

mumbai Updated: Jul 06, 2017 00:52 IST
Puja Pednekar
Although the website was shut for repairs last Wednesday after it crashing, the students faced numerous problems while uploading their details.
Although the website was shut for repairs last Wednesday after it crashing, the students faced numerous problems while uploading their details.(HT file )

Students will get two extra days to apply for first year junior college (FYJC) admissions for upcoming academic year. Students can now submit their online applications till 5pm on Thursday. Also, applicants will be allowed to make corrections in their forms on July 1 and 3, before the first merit list is announced on July 7. 

The state education department extended the deadline on Tuesday to compensate for the time lost after its website crashed repeatedly last week.

More than 2.45 lakh students had applied online till Tuesday evening, nearly 10,000 more than the previous year. However, only 2.28 lakh students managed to fills their forms. The rest suffered owing to technical glitches on the website. 

Although the website was shut for repairs last Wednesday after it crashing, the students faced numerous problems while uploading their details. The most common complaint was that the website was slow. 

However, the department blamed it on the heavy usage. Officials also said the problems with the website happened after they changed the operator. Nysa Asia took over as a technical partner for admissions from Maharashtra Knowledge Corporation Limited (MKCL), which had managed the website for the last six years. 

“We gave permission to extend the process for the benefit of students in Mumbai and Amravati region, who were affected after the website crashed,” Vinod Tawde, education minister, said on Tuesday. 

It is for the first time that the entire admission process has been shifted online. Until last year, it was restricted to a cities such as Mumbai and Pune. 

Admissions for reserved category seats in minority, in-house, and, management quota will continue at the college-level till June 30. This year students who secure admission in quota will be unable to opt for a seat in the online process. 

A general merit list, stacking up students in the order of merit, will be declared on June 30 at 5 pm. This will help students in knowing where they stand in the admission process. 

This year, students will have to take direct admissions to seats allotted to them if they get their first preference or a college of their choice. Provisional admissions will not be done.