1) The Angry Goddess: The name ‘Colaba’ is derived from Kalu Bai, one of Mumbai’s native deities. Also known as Khadadevi, she is said to be in a perpetual state of anger, requiring gifts from devotees to pacify her. Her temple, located inside the Colaba police station premises, is one of the most visited temples in south Mumbai.
2) Wayside Inn: The Silk Route at Kala Ghoda, was originally named The Wayside Inn. Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar was a frequent visitor at the restaurant when he was penning the Constitution of India. It is also where the Black Stone statue of King Edward VII mounted on a black horse was originally placed (now it is at Dr Bhau Daji Lad Museum, Byculla) .
3) Esplanade building: India’s oldest surviving cast iron building, it was one of the tallest structures in the city in the 1800s. Originally known as the Watson’s Hotel, the building opened in 1869 and shut in the 1960s. It was here that Jamsetji Tata was banned from entering the hotel and went on to launch the Taj Mahal Hotel franchise in an act of defiance.
4) Cusrow Baug: It is one of the oldest all-Parsi settlements in Mumbai. Prior to his death, businessman Nowrosjee Wadia left a handsome sum for his wife Jerbai Wadia, who, in turn, built these residential complexes for Parsis who couldn’t afford accommodation elsewhere. Cusrow Baug was built adjacent to a swamp and saw few buyers, even at a minimal rent of Rs 40 per month for a two bedroom flat in the 1950s.
5) Seth Jeejeebhoy Dadabhoy Agiary Baug: It is located at the far end of Colaba. It was considered to be the most remote area to host a function. Families (mostly Parsis) used to travel as a convoy to this agiary. It was considered unsafe and women were even warned against wearing expensive jewellery.