The luggage compartment of a suburban train caught fire near Ghatkopar station on Tuesday evening. No one was injured.
According to officials from the disaster management department of the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC), the CST bound fast local was between Vidyavihar and Ghatkopar stations around 8.10pm when the fire was reported. The train was coming from Khopoli.
Kunal Rane, a passenger, said that the motorman had used a fire-extinguisher.
“We could see smoke first, but then the fire started spreading. We tried to pull the chains but it did not work. The train was stopped about 600-700m from Ghatkopar station and people started getting-off,” he said.
Trains on the central line were affected. Priyanka Nair, a media professional, said, “CST was crowded. There were no trains for about half an hour. I finally took a cab to go home.”
Officials said that the fire was caused some by some fuel like kerosene that a commuter was carrying in the luggage compartment. The fire was extinguished in about 10 to 15 minutes, officials said.
Narendra Patil, chief PRO, Central Railway, said, “A passenger’s luggage caught fire because he was carrying something like kerosene. No damage or injuries were reported in the incident.”