Mumbai Maratha Kranti Morcha: Last rally a success, community leaders unsure of next step | mumbai news | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Oct 24, 2017-Tuesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Mumbai Maratha Kranti Morcha: Last rally a success, community leaders unsure of next step

Taking note of the protest, the state announced small sops such as interest-free loans upto Rs10 lakh, concessions for students in 605 streams, among others.

mumbai Updated: Aug 10, 2017 09:20 IST
Faisal Malik
The protest march started at Byculla and ended at Azad Maidan.
The protest march started at Byculla and ended at Azad Maidan.(Satyabrata Tripathy/HT Photo)

Two lakh Marathas on Mumbai’s streets with saffron flags, a few sops and policies for the community and an assurance of taking their demand for reservation – this was the outcome of Wednesday’s Maratha Kranti Morcha, the last in the series, which the organisers termed a “success”.

With the marches are over, how will the organisers take the campaign forward? They don’t know.

A majority of the organisers of protests, which don’t have a leader, feel they will now have to go back to the drawing board and deliberate on ways to take the protest forward with a cross-section of people from the community. The absence of central leadership may make it more difficult for the groups to agree to one line of action.

Taking note of the protest, the state announced small sops such as interest-free loans upto Rs10 lakh, concessions for students in 605 streams, among others.

Mansingh Pawar, an organiser, said they need time to evaluate the developments. “Let us evaluate the outcome of the rally and how the community is reacting to this. We could come up with different forms of protests in the future as the next phase of silent protests,” he said.

He said that over the past one year, the community had been successful in highlighting their unrest and forcing the government to set up a backward class commission.

The organisers announced the government has agreed to form district-wise committees to oversee filing of cases under Atrocities Act, to prevent its misuse. However, there was no such announcement by the CM.

Sanjiv Bhor Patil, another organiser, said, “The CM has now requested the backward commission to submit its report to the HC in three months. He agreed to give enough manpower and other facilities to the commission to ensure it completes the task within a given timeframe.’’

Patil said the sub-committee would help them to make a roadmap to get all their demands fulfilled.

The community’s central demand of reservation in education and jobs is pending with the high court. While getting the reservation quota increased to beyond the existing 52% is a tough task, Fadnavis promised that the state backward class commission, set up this January, would be asked to submit its recommendation on the community’s demand for reservation to the HC within three months.

Nanasaheb Kute Patil, an organiser, said they need a different strategy to fulfill their demands. “The community will decide what needs to be done. I feel we need to put up a strong fight in court to get reservation for the community. This can be done by bringing retired judges and legal luminaries on one platform,” Patil said.