Mumbai school trustee booked for raping 3-year-old: What we know about the case
Mumbai city news: According to the FIR, the girl’s mother had noticed a changed in her daughter’s behaviour. When she questioned her, the girl told her mother about the assault.mumbai Updated: Jun 12, 2017 10:06 IST
A 57-year-old founder and trustee of a prominent Andheri school, and a nursery teacher, were booked for allegedly raping a three-year-old student on the premises. While the school principal has refused to comment on the incident, he said that they are cooperating with the police.
Here are five things we know about the case:
1) According to the police, the incident took place late last year. The teacher took the girl to the trustee’s room, where he sexually assaulted her, the police said. This amounts to rape under the section 376 (2) of the Indian Penal Code.
2) The school principal refused to comment on the case, but said that they are cooperating with the police. “The complaint was lodged by the parent. We are giving the cops whatever they want,” the principal said. According to allegations in the FIR, earlier this year, the girl’s mother noticed a change in her daughter’s behaviour and began questioning her. The girl then told her mother about the assault, the police said.
3) On May 18, the mother filed a rape case under section 376 (2) and relevant sections of Protection of Children from Sexual Offenses (POCSO) Act against the trustee and the teacher. The FIR also mentions the accused sexually assaulted another three-year-old boy. The boy’s parents have been contacted by the police to verify the allegation.
4) The police have also spoken to the trustee’s wife, who expressed shock over the allegation, but has supported her husband. She said he will soon return to India.
5) The girl has undergone a medical test, the police said. On Monday, around 3pm, the founder-trustee sent an email to parents, after the news of the police complaint was telecast. “As (the school) grows and expands sharing light on education, the darkness of the material world also clings to us,” read the statement.The statement further said, “In the same way that I prepare (the school) students for the unexpected, I am preparing myself to face the unexpected so that truth will ultimately prevail…I am confident that in due course it would be revealed and clarified that the accusation is unfounded.”