No celebration for mandal as 3 youths taking Ganesh idol get electrocuted
After three youths at Ulhasnagar got electrocuted on Monday night, when an electric wire fell on the plastic-covered Ganesh idol they were taking in a trolley, Jai Mata Di mandal immersed the Idol at Ganesh Ghat in Kalyan and decided not to celebrate the festival.mumbai Updated: Sep 02, 2016 17:21 IST
After three youths at Ulhasnagar got electrocuted on Monday night, when an electric wire fell on the plastic-covered Ganesh idol they were taking in a trolley, Jai Mata Di mandal immersed the Idol at Ganesh Ghat in Kalyan and decided not to celebrate the festival.
While two of the boys — Hitesh Krushnalal Talreja, 20,and Hitesh Hareshlal Sachdev, 20 — died, one of them identified as Kumar suffered injuries and was discharged after first aid.
On Monday the Jai Mata Di mandal from Ulhasnagar took the15ft idol from Parel’s Ganpati workshop and headed to Ulhasnagar. A person from Jai Mata Di mandal said, “We were heading to Dashera Maidan, which was just few metres away, when the Ganesh idol touched an electricity wire. As the Ganesh idol was covered in plastic, mandal members — Talreja and Sachdev — sitting on the trolley got electrocuted and the other person was thrown aside.”
Another member rushed all three of them to the hospital where two were declared dead. He further added, “Both who died were in college and Talreja was his parents’ only child. The mandal held a meeting and decided not to celebrate the festival. So, instead of taking the idol to pandal, we took to Ganesh Ghat and immersed it.”
A man from Parel workshop said, “We have alerted other mandals about it and asked them to take precaution. The JMD mandal from Ulhasnagar is a very enthusiastic lot and such a news must have struck them badly.”
Investigation officer, P Khade from central police station said, “After the incident, the group decided to immerse the idol at Ganesh Ghat in Kalyan on late Tuesday night. We have lodged a an ADR (accidental death) case.”