Thane vada pav seller who was set on fire succumbs to burn injuries | mumbai news | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 26, 2017-Sunday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Thane vada pav seller who was set on fire succumbs to burn injuries

mumbai Updated: Mar 21, 2017 13:42 IST
Arvind Walmiki
vada pav

The spot where the incident took place.(HT)

A day after being set on fire by an alleged competitor for operating a vada pav shop near Ulhasnagar station in Thane, the 50-year-old man succumbed to his burn injuries on Tuesday morning. Officials from the Vitthalwadi police station confirmed the development. The police have formed a team to trace the suspect, Suresh, who is from Ulhasnagar. He has been booked under murder charge.

The victim, Chandarlal Ramratyani, was a resident of Ulhasnagar. On Monday, he suffered 85 per cent burns which damaged his internal organs. He was shifted to National Burn centre at Airoli in New Mumbai.

“On Monday when Ramratyani opened his shop in the morning, Suresh came with a bucket of kerosene and started abusing Ramratyani. All of a sudden, Suresh doused him with the fuel and set him on fire,” said inspector A Choudhary from Vitthalwadi police station.

The police found that Suresh used to run a vada pav stall at the exact spot where Ramratyani was running his, but he had to shut it.

A few months after Suresh shut his stall, Ramratyani opened his at the same spot. The former could not tolerate it. He had purportedly asked Ramratyani to shut the stall as he wanted to reopen his business. But, Ramratyani refused which angered Suresh.

When Ramratyani was set ablaze, his customers fled while his co-workers doused the fire and rushed him to a hospital.

“Ramratyani was taken to a hospital and later shifted to National Burns Centre at Airoli,” said Choudhary. The police had said Ramratyani’s condition was critical.

READ

Vada pav seller in Mumbai set on fire