The BMC elections were keenly contested and there was a lot of talk about which party would have its mayor in the civic body. Here is all you need to know about the role of the mayor.
1) The party that wins the mayoral elections is in power in the civic body
2) The tenure of the mayor is two-and-ahalf years
3) The mayor is the city’s first citizen
4) The mayor has two distinct roles — a decorative role of representing and upholding the dignity of the city and a functional role of presiding over deliberations of the civic house of elected representatives
5) As the presiding authority at corporation meetings, the mayor’s role is confined to the corporation hall
6) In the decorative role, the mayor’s role extends far beyond the city and country — when a foreign dignitary visits the city, the state government invites the mayor to receive the guest on behalf of the citizens
7) The mayor is also given a place of prominence at civic, government and other social functions