What we know about the BMC polls so far
Mumbai has 91.8 lakh registered voters, who will vote across the 7,297 voting booths in the city for 227 seatsmumbai Updated: Feb 21, 2017 14:41 IST
3) Till 11.30am, the voting was 16.40%
4) Cricketer Sachin Tendulkar cast his vote with his wife
5) Mumbai has 91.8 lakh registered voters, who will vote across the 7,297 voting booths in the city for 227 seats
6) The turnout has, however, consistently been tepid. In 2012, less than 45% of Mumbai’s registered voters took note of the BMC elections. In 2007, this figure was 46% and in 2002, it was an even more abysmal 42%.
7) With the splitting of traditional alliances of the Shiv Sena and the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and the Congress and the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP), the Mumbai civic polls are a multi-cornered contest this time. This is also the first time the SEC has put up flex boards giving details of candidates’ assets and their educational qualification.
8) Close to 45% citizens are not aware of the candidates contesting for the 2017 municipal elections in their respective wards, whereas 30% of them don’t even know which ward they belong to, according to a survey of more than 5,000 families conducted by students of RD & SH National College in Bandra. Read