The city witnessed over 1,200 fire incidents in the last six months since May to October where one person died and 15 were injured, according to the latest Mumbai fire brigade report.
The report says an average of 200 fire incidents occurred every month including short circuits.
Most of the fires broke out because of defective electricity system. The report will be submitted to the civic standing committee on Tuesday.
The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) however said the fires were caused because of overloaded cables. SS Shinde, joint municipal commissioner said, “Housing societies or commercial establishments should check whether their electricity consumption is rising or the same? If the number of units used is more, then they have increase the cable otherwise an overload on same line will lead to a spark.”
To avoid fire incidents in high-rises, the Maharashtra Fire Prevention and Life Safety Measures Act, 2006, made it compulsory for new buildings to have fire fighting equipment like a fire extinguisher and a bi-annual certification from a licensed agency about upgradation.
A report on this is then to be submitted to the fire brigade department. There is a provision for prosecution of agencies and parties that submit fake or faulty certificates.
The law also stipulated that every commercial building taller than 30 m must have a fire officer and fire personnel trained by the Maharashtra Fire Academy. “We will take up the issue in the coordination meeting with various utility agencies as part of disaster management. The concerned power companies should regularly check on the cables and supply load,” Shinde added.
Brihanmumbai Electric Supply and Transport (BEST) supplies electricity in the island city jurisdiction, while in the suburbs, apart from
Maharashtra State Electricity Distribution Corporation (a state government body), Reliance and Tata companies also supply power.
“BEST regularly check cables and housing societies or if the new building needs more voltage, we insists them to make space for sub-station inside society compound,” said a BEST official.