A major fire engulfed a three-storey residential building in Tardeo in central Mumbai on Thursday morning leaving one dead and injuring 11 others. As the fire was being extinguished, a large portion of the building — Ganesh Vita Sadan on Ratan Tata road — collapsed.
Arvind Phansekar, 65, a third-floor resident, was declared dead on arrival at Nair hospital, where the victims were rushed. Barring one of the injured, who is admitted to the trauma ward, the rest are out of danger.
According to eyewitnesses, the fire started at around 7am, with some sparks near the meter room and at least two LPG gas cylinders exploded as it spread. Officials blamed the building’s wooden structures for the rapid spread of fire. The building was slated to go in for redevelopment.
The police have ruled out sabotage. “We have made an incident report of a natural calamity. We are awaiting the fire dep-artment’s report,” said Ajen-drasingh Thakur, senior police inspector, Tardeo police station.