Ten commercial units and a godown were destroyed in a fire that broke out on Monday in a BEST building behind Manish market in south Mumbai. Except a fireman who suffered a minor cut during the firefighting, no casualties were reported.
The fire department received a call at 4.56pm, following which 12 fire engines, two ambulances and six water tankers were pressed into service. The fire was brought under control by 7.36pm, before it could lead to any major destruction.
“The fire broke out in the attic floor of the building, which houses a godown. It then spread to the first-floor of the building with the 10 commercial units,” Suhas Joshi, chief fire officer, said, adding that the cause was yet to be ascertained.
The three-storey building on the Saboo Siddqui Road also houses a BEST electric sub-station on the ground floor. Shopo-wners from Manish market claimed the sub-station caught fire. But PM Shinde, chief engineer, BEST, said: “The fire is not linked to the sub-station. We have temporarily cut off electric supply to the area.” An occupant of one of the units said, “We have suffered huge losses. All our goods are destroyed.”