`108 crore to clean, replace city’s age-old sewage lines
The civic standing committee on Friday cleared a proposal of Rs 108 crore to clean up and replace the age-old sewage lines across the city.mumbai Updated: Nov 13, 2010 03:27 IST
The civic standing committee on Friday cleared a proposal of Rs 108 crore to clean up and replace the age-old sewage lines across the city.
The proposal mentions that the work is of emergency nature and the amount that might be needed to carry out the repairs, cleaning, capacity increasing can’t be gauged, which also means that there are heavy chances of there being an escalation of cost for the contract.
The contract has been awarded to 12 agencies and is for a period of three years.
“The proposal has several defects and is open for variation. The contactors often claim money without cleaning the sewerage lines and loot the BMC,” said Mangesh Bansode, NCP corporator, who vehemently opposed the proposal.
The proposal also includes replacing broken and stolen manhole covers in the city. Earlier this week, a 9-year-old boy died after falling in a drain at Worli as the cover of the manhole was missing.
The police have filed a case of negligence against the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) in connection with the case.
Rahul Shewale, chairman of the standing committee, said the contractors would be monitored throughout the year and if their work is found to be unsatisfactory then an FIR would be lodged against them.