The 13 men on trial for the July 11, 2006, serial blasts on Mumbai’s local trains, that killed 187 people and injured more than 800, have told the court that they want to question the three policemen to whom three Indian Mujahideen cadre arrested in 2008 had reportedly confessed that they were responsible for the train bombings.
After advocates of the 13 accused, who were booked under the Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) by the Anti-Terrorism Squad, were denied permission to conduct this examination by the MCOCA court, last week, they moved the Bombay high court. “We want to be allowed a fair chance to defend ourselves,” said Abdul Wahan Khan, advocate of one of the 13 persons arrested. The petition is likely to come up for hearing this week.
The advocates want to examine the three deputy commissioners of police who recorded the confessional statements of the three IM operatives arrested in 2008 for serial blasts across the country. The IM men had reportedly claimed that their outfit had set off the train blasts.
Khan said the trial was now in its final stage. “Before closing the case, we want to examine the three DCPs because they recorded the confessional statements of three of the 21 IM members arrested, who revealed that IM was responsible for the blasts,” Khan said. “The special court rejected our request on the ground that it would prejudice the 2008 case against IM.”