'13/7 accused joined Dagdi Chawl gym month after blasts' | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 23, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

'13/7 accused joined Dagdi Chawl gym month after blasts'

mumbai Updated: Jan 28, 2012 01:37 IST
Rahul Mahajani
Rahul Mahajani
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

Investigations by the Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) in the July 13, 2011 blasts case have revealed that one of the suspected bomb planters had enrolled in a gymnasium at the Gulab Puran Gawli Medical Fitness Centre inside Dagdi Chawl, Byculla, on August 10, 2011. Dagdi chawl happens to be the bastion of underworld-don-turned politician Arun Gawli, who is currently lodged in jail.

A senior ATS official said the 24-year-old had enrolled at the Mumbadevi Vyayamshala at Kumbharwada, which is near the blast site at Zaveri Bazaar. He said the man used to visit the gym between 7 and 8 pm in order to study the area.

“The ATS is still investigating why the suspected planter enrolled at a gym 27 days after executing the blasts,” the officer said, adding it was not easy to get admission to the gym and one had to get a reference for enrolment. “We have taken away documents of the gym including its register. We are also questioning those who are running the gym which is named after Arun Gawli’s father,” the officer said.

The ATS said the suspected planter had paid Rs 3,500 and an additional Rs 200 as entrance fee for August, September and October 2011. “The address says Room 53 at Byculla but some details differ from that of Habib Mansion where the other bomb planters had allegedly been living for a year before the blasts,” the ATS official said. ATS is yet to ascertain the reason for the planter selecting this particular gym.

In a related development, Taquee Ahmed, brother of Naquee, who has been arrested as the man behind the July 13, 2011 blasts, failed to appear before the ATS on Friday. ‘“The ATS had summoned him for questioning in the SIM card case but he could not get a train ticket from Delhi; he is also unwell. We will be questioning him soon, most likely next week,” the ATS official said.