147 Mumbai policemen died in 2014 | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 28, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

147 Mumbai policemen died in 2014

mumbai Updated: Jan 09, 2015 20:45 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Mumbai police

With round-the-clock duties taking a toll on their health, 147 policemen in Mumbai died in 2014.

While 35 of them succumbed to heart attacks, 13 died while undergoing treatment. Ten deaths were because of tuberculosis and nine from cancer. One police official was murdered in south Mumbai while trying to catch a thief, while another constable committed suicide in Borivli. Two policemen died of dengue.

“The force feels the pressure in fulfilling the duties as per the benchmark set by society, and so they need to be healthy and strong. Around 41% policemen suffered a heart attack. The remaining 59% died of other diseases,” said police commissioner Rakesh Maria, at a function on Thursday.

Other deaths include seven because of kidney and liver problems, seven accidental deaths, six because of jaundice, four in railway accidents, among other reasons.

The Mumbai police’s current strength is 46,418.