18 kids hospitalised after eating Mankhurd aanganwadi food

  • HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times, Mumbai
  • |
  • Updated: Mar 02, 2013 01:57 IST

Eighteen children between the age of three and five were admitted to the Shatabdi hospital in Govandi, as they developed symptoms of food poisoning after eating the food served at an anganwadi centre in Mankhurd on Friday.

“The government had awarded the contract for providing food to the Bharanyeshwar Mahila Bajat Gat. At 11.45am, around 30 children were fed laddoos in the Sathe nagar area. Within minutes, some children started vomiting. While 18 children were hospitalised, a one-year-old girl has been discharged,” said Shankarsingh Rajput, senior inspector, Mankhurd police station.

“The laddoos were made at Shivneri chawl in Mankhurd. The food samples have been sent for analysis,” he said.

Doctors at Shatabdi Hospital, Govandi, said that the condition of the children was stable and they have been kept in the hospital for observation. “None of them have shown any severe complications. We have given them preliminary treatment,” said Dr Ashok Swjavalkar, medical superintendent of the hospital.

“An inquiry would be conducted into the matter,” said Fouzia Khan, minister of state, women and child development.

The police have registered a case under section 336 (act endangering life or personal safety of others) and under 337 (causing hurt by act endangering life or personal safety of others) against unidentified persons working with the women self-help group.

 

also read

Smart? 36 urban centres are barely cities, audit reveals

blog comments powered by Disqus