2 member panel to probe metro mishap | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 23, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

2 member panel to probe metro mishap

mumbai Updated: Sep 06, 2012 01:24 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

A day after the accident at the metro site on Andheri-Kurla Road, which killed one worker and injured 16 others, the Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA), the nodal agency for infrastructure projects, appointed a two-member committee to look into what led to the mishap.

The Sahar police registered a case of negligence against the supervising engineer and the architect overseeing the work, and on Wednesday night, two persons were brought in for questioning.

They are likely to be arrested, officials said, though they refused to reveal their identity.

Even before the committee began its probe, metropolitan commissioner Rahul Asthana slammed the contractors and said that prima facie it seems that adequate safety measures were not in place.

“If the accident has happened, it means the necessary safety measures were not taken,” he said.

The MMRDA has stopped all work on the Versova-Andheri-Ghatkopar metro line for the next three days so that it can review the safety measures. “All safety audits need to done.

It seems that in this case they were not done,” said PRK Murthy, chief of transport, MMRDA.

Over the past four years, with several infrastructure projects underway, Mumbai has witnessed 10 onsite deaths.

The MMRDA’s failure in monitoring infrastructure sites and taking action against errant contractors have encouraged laxity, and Tuesday’s accident has been the second big one at an infrastructure project site in less than two months.

The two-member committee that will submit the report comprises IIT professor KV Rao and public works department chief engineer SB Tamsekar.

Tamsekar is also on another MMRDA-appointed committee that is looking into the July 19 Eastern Freeway accident, which claimed one life.

The committee is yet to submit its final report.

The police said they are also investigating to see whether more persons can be booked in the case.