The decks have been cleared for the trial of the July 11, 2006 serial train blasts, but the accused in the case do not have a lawyer to represent them in court.
Their lawyer, Shahid Azmi, was shot dead by unidentified persons at his Kurla residence on February 11.
The accused in this case will need a lawyer soon because the Supreme Court vacated the stay on the trial on Friday.
The Jamiat –e-Ulema (JEU) had appointed Azmi to defend the accused. “The families of all the accused had approached us and hence we asked Azmi to take their case,” said Gulzar Azmi, general secretary JEU (Maharashtra).
“If the family approaches us again we will appoint another lawyer for them. We can even ask some prominent lawyers to appear for them.”
The special Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act court had started recording the statements of the witnesses and one witness had even deposed before the court.
“The families have not contacted me and I have not received any instructions from them,” said advocate Prakash Shetty who had earlier appeared in the case.
Shahid was the only lawyer appearing before the court for the accused, added Shetty.