21-yr-old carried knife for five days | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 29, 2017-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

21-yr-old carried knife for five days

mumbai Updated: Aug 28, 2010 01:18 IST
HT Correspondent

The 21-year-old mass media student, who allegedly murdered his classmate and friend at Malad on Thursday, told the police he had planned the murder and had been carrying a knife with him for five days.

Adil Shaikh stabbed 21-year-old Darshana Panchal to death with a skinning knife on Thursday night. The Bangur Nagar police said Shaikh killed the girl, a resident of Kandharpada in Dahisar (East), because he suspected she had instigated his girlfriend against him and caused their relationship to end two months ago.

“He told us that he and his girlfriend had planned to get married but he blamed Panchal for the recent change in his girlfriend’s behaviour towards him,” said Police Inspector D. Nalavade, who is investigating the case.

Police said Shaikh, a resident of Malwani in Malad (West), and his girlfriend (identity withheld) had the same set of friends, which included Panchal. They were all mass media students from a Malad college. “We also suspect Panchal liked Shaikh. He had planned everything,” said Senior Inspector Maruti Telang.

Nalavade said after lectures on Thursday the trio decided to celebrate Shaikh’s girlfriend’s birthday, which was that day, and Panchal’s birthday, which was on August 2. They had a small get together in the college canteen with other friends.

“In the evening, Shaikh asked Panchal to accompany him to a Malad mall saying he wanted to buy his girlfriend a gift,” Nalavade said. The duo went on Shaikh’s motorbike. Shaikh, however, took her to a secluded spot behind Interface in Malad (West). “There, he attacked Panchal with the skinning knife. She sustained severe cuts on her face, hands and throat,” Nalavade said.

Passersby and a beat marshal, who heard Panchal scream, rushed and caught hold of Shaikh. They took the girl to Bhagwati Hospital where she was declared dead before admission.

Shaikh has been charged with murder and has been remanded in police custody until September 2. Her father Vijay, a carpenter, said, “We didn’t even know she had a friend named Adil Shaikh. We thought she was in college and found out about the incident from the police.”