21-yr-old’s desire for high life lands him in jail | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 20, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

21-yr-old’s desire for high life lands him in jail

mumbai Updated: Aug 26, 2010 01:19 IST
Mohamed Thaver
Mohamed Thaver
Hindustan Times

A 21-year-old Kashmiri boy, who wanted a lavish life in Mumbai but was too afraid to ask his well-to-do family for money, was arrested last week for allegedly stealing a Toyota Innova from a car rental agency in Borivli.

Mudassar Wani, was staying in Goregaon with another boy, had allegedly stolen the car and taken it to his house in Kashmir.

The case dates back to November 2009. Wani, identifying himself as Rahul Sharma, called a helpline service asking for an Innova car to go to Pune. The helpline connected him to a travel agency in Borivli from where he booked a Toyota Innova.

Wani asked the driver to meet him on Link Road at Malad (West). Once the driver reached, Wani and his friend asked him to wait for a third friend who would be joining them. A while later, the driver got off the vehicle to relieve himself. The accused took the opportunity and drove away with the vehicle.

The Bangur Nagar police said the driver left his mobile phone in the car and that helped the police track the vehicle and the accused.

“The car’s registration and engine number had been tampered with but the chassis number was the same,” Senior Police Inspector M. Telang said. He drove to his hometown in Kashmir and told his parents that the vehicle belonged to a friend.

He returned to Mumbai. The police, meanwhile, were tracking Wani’s cell phone. Wani changed his address often to throw the police off-track. The police finally nabbed him last week. He is in judicial custody while his accomplice is absconding, Telang said.

He confessed to the police and told them where the vehicle was. The police informed Wani’s family of the incident. Despite the tension prevailing in Kashmir over the past few months, the family managed to bring the vehicle to Daryaganj police station in New Delhi from where the Bangur Nagar police recovered it.

Wani had come to the city three years ago and finished his graduation here.

The police spent Rs. 30,000 on diesel and changing the car’s tyres thrice when they were bringing it to Mumbai.