24-yr-old sex worker gang-raped in Andheri chawl, four arrested | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Apr 26, 2017-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

24-yr-old sex worker gang-raped in Andheri chawl, four arrested

mumbai Updated: Mar 15, 2013 01:59 IST
HT Correspondent

A 24-year-old sex worker was allegedly gang-raped in a chawl in Andheri (East) on Thursday. The four accused have been arrested and are in police custody.

According to an official from the Vile Parle police station, the incident took place at 2am in Kabir Nagar located near Chakala. The police said the complainant, Krushna Chandu Sapalika, 40, a taxi driver who lives in Kabir Nagar, had met the victim a few days ago. As his wife and children had gone to their native place, he took the woman to his residence around 12.30pm on Wednesday.

Rajesh Verma, 21, Mahesh Kewat, 20, Krishna Kewat, 32, and Ramchandra Hube, 30, who lived nearby saw the girl enter his house. Around 2am, the four of them barged into Krushna’s residence. While three of the accused allegedly raped her, one of them molested her. The police said the woman was raped for eight hours till 10am.

Krushna remained quiet as he was threatened of dire consequences if he raised an alarm. Around 10am, however, Krushna escaped, saying that he had to visit the washroom and alerted a friend. The police then arrived at the spot and the accused were arrested from the spot.

The victim then lodged a case of rape against the four accused. They were produced in the magistrate court in Andheri and have been remanded in police custody till March 20.

“Mahesh is a student and looks after his father’s general store while Krishna earns his livelihood by doing petty jobs. Ramchandra already has a case of assault against him,” said an official.

Group foiled robbery the same night: locals
The four accused who allegedly raped the sex worker had helped foil a robbery in the area at 2am, claimed residents of Mahavir Kabir Nagar.

“They helped catch the robber and handed him over to the police at 2am,” said a local, on condition of anonymity.

They alleged that they did not hear any cries for help from the room and that they learned about the incident only when the police arrived at their chawl in the morning.

“How is it possible that none of us heard the woman scream?” he added, questioning the woman’s claims.