25-yr-old man electrocuted at malad | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 03, 2016-Saturday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

25-yr-old man electrocuted at malad

mumbai Updated: Apr 05, 2011 01:20 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

A 25-year-old man at Malad (West) lost his life after being electrocuted on Monday morning.

According to the police, M Lakshman, a resident of slum colony at Valnai near Orlem Church in Malad, used to work as house help.

He had stepped out to buy garlands for Gudi Padwa celebrations in the morning. On his way back, he accidentally touched a steel ladder, which was lying on the road and was in contact with an electric meter box, said police sub inspector A Nivatkar. “The electric shock injured his leg and he slipped into a gutter. Coming in contact with water increased the intensity of the shock and led to his death,” said Nivatkar.

Locals immediately rushed Lakshman to the nearby Bhagwati Hospital. He was declared dead on admission, the police said. Malad police have recorded a case of accidental death. The police are verifying if it was a case of negligence due to which led to electrocution.

Nivatkar said that the meter box belonged to the Reliance Energy. “We have written a letter to Reliance Energy. After receiving their reply, we will decide the future course of action,” said Nivatkar.