Around one-fifth of the students who were allotted seats in the first round of the junior college admissions got colleges they had listed as their first preference.
Of the 1.2-lakh odd students who made it to the first general merit list of colleges, which was announced on Monday, around 26,000 got their first preference.
Education department officials anticipate that a further 1.3 to 1.4 lakh seats will be allotted in the next round (including fresh as well as betterment allotments).
“Seats kept for reserved categories will be converted into general seats if there were not enough applicants, freeing up more seats for the next round,” said an education department official.
The second general merit list will be released on Monday. So far, a little more than 56,000 students have secured provisional admission in colleges they were allotted in the first round. Students can also do so on Wednesday, the last date for fee payment for first round allottees. If they do not secure provisional admission they will not remain within the system.
Several students are still disappointed by their allotments and are hoping to rise to higher preference colleges when the next merit list is announced. Many are still confused about the betterment option.
“If my daughter’s name appears on the second merit list, is that final or will she have a chance to make it to the next merit list as well?” said Chandresh Vora, parent of a student who got her eleventh preference college in the first round. “Most of us are confused on this betterment issue.”
In the meantime, the department has said that boys who were wrongly allotted seats in Burhani College’s arts stream, which is only for girls, will be re-allotted seats in the second round.