The Bombay High Court on Thursday sought a reply from the state government in regard to the preventive security measures taken in the aftermath of November 26 Mumbai terror attack.
Division bench of Justices Ranjana Desai and V K Tahilramani pointedly asked what had been done with regard to setting up an NSG unit in Mumbai, and training of local force.
"Commando presence must be there in Mumbai," the bench said.
The High Court was hearing PIL filed by city-based advocate V P Patil, which demands action against top security officers, including the then National Security Advisor, for the lapses which led to the attack on Mumbai.
The Union government's lawyer today said that commando unit is already "in operation" in Mumbai, and NSG is training local commandos.
The High Court also sought information as to availability of helicopters for moving forces, when petitioner's lawyer pointed out that during the attack, NSG commandos had no ready plane to bring them to Mumbai from Delhi, and once in Mumbai, they were ferried by a bus.
The state was supposed to file affidavit with regard to secuity overhaul last year, but it has not been filed yet.
"Why are you taking this so lightly?" the court said, seeking affidavit in reply within two weeks.