3 doctors of Parel hospital quit, patients suffer | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 21, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

3 doctors of Parel hospital quit, patients suffer

mumbai Updated: May 21, 2011 01:30 IST
Priya Prabhakaran
Priya Prabhakaran
Hindustan Times
Priya Prabhakaran

The Intensive Cardiac Care Unit (ICCU) of Mahatma Gandhi Memorial (MGM) Hospital, Parel, has been shut for the past three days after three resident doctors assigned to the unit resigned.

Several patients including a 92-year-old cardiac patient, Laxman Bingi, have been left in the lurch. On Thursday, when Bingi reached the MGM hospital complaining of chest pain, he was referred to a hospital in Mulund, which did not have an ICCU facility.

Bingi, a Vashi resident, reached MGM Hospital at 10am and was categorised as a ‘high risk’ case as he suffered from atrial fibrillation — a condition where the patient suffers from abnormal heart rhythm. The doctors referred him to Mulund ESIC Hospital.

“The hospital had one ambulance which was then at Andheri. I had to take my father from Parel to Mulund in a cab. After reaching there, I found that the hospital did not have an ICCU,” said Ganesh, Laxman’s son.

Ganesh then took his father to KEM Hospital at 4pm where he was treated and sent home. “My father had suffered a heart attack in the past. It was a terrifying day, as we could get no facilities from Employees’ State Insurance Corporation (ESIC) hospitals. There was no point in being insured,” said Ganesh.

“I am shocked. Mulund’s ESIC hospital does not have an ICCU. How can a patient with a cardiac illness be transferred to a hospital with no cardiac facility? I will look into the matter,” said Dr Maya Wankhede, director of ESIC Hospitals in the city.

At MGM Hospital, three of the four resident doctors of the ICCU resigned between May 9 and May 12. Doctors Chetan Salunkhe, Umesh Kolekar and Shashank Rane had to prepare for their post-graduation exams. “We shut the ICCU owing to shortage of staff. It will remain shut till new appointments are made,” said Dr Nimish Shah, medical superintendent, MGM Hospital.