Three persons suffocated to death and eight others were injured after a fire broke out in the electrical meter cabin at Vaity Apartments in Mulund (East) on Wednesday night.
According to the police, the victims —Varsha Pasad, 57, husband Vasant, 59, and Hema Chheda, 55 — were residents of third and fourth floors respectively and were coming down the stairs when they got trapped in the smoke and suffocated to death.
The fire broke out around 1.30am resulting in heavy smoke that reached up to the top floors of the six-storey building.
One fire engine, one water tanker and two ambulances were dispatched to the spot. The fire was brought under control by 2.18am.