3-year-old boy, teenager more test positive for swine flu
Two more people tested positive for swine flu on Friday, taking the total number of H1N1 cases in the city this month to 65.mumbai Updated: Jun 26, 2010 01:13 IST
Two more people tested positive for swine flu on Friday, taking the total number of H1N1 cases in the city this month to 65.
While one patient is a 19-year-old man, the second patient is a three-year-old boy. “The condition of both the patients is stable,” said Dr Daksha Shah of the BMC’s epidemiology cell.
Earlier this week, three women succumbed to swine-flu related complications at various private hospitals. Additional municipal commissioner (health), Manisha Mhaiskar, said that the deaths were due delayed administration of Tamilflu.
“A significant number of swine flu deaths are linked to delay in treatment,” she said. But Dr Daksha Shah of the BMC’s epidemiology cell and Dr G T Ambe, executive health officer of the BMC, maintained that there was no delay in giving Tamiflu to the deceased patients.
The BMC conducted a workshop for outpatient department doctors at KEM Hospital, Parel on Friday regarding H1N1 vaccine and swine flu treatment. Around 250 doctors attended the workshop. “Experts reminded them of all the strategies that had evolved last year and there was an exchange of clinical information," said Mhaiskar.
Doctors were told about how the vaccines are useful and that there is no reason to be worried about side effects, added Dr G T Ambe, executive health officer of the BMC.
Outpatient departments have also been told to watch out for new swine flu symptoms. “Now, doctors will also watch out for newer symptoms of the flu like sore throat, severe body ache and backache,” said Ambe.
Civic hospitals reported 63 cases of malaria, one case of dengue and 300 cases of fever and gastroenteritis between Thursday and Friday morning.