30-year-old woman suffers burns while lighting stove, critical | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 08, 2016-Thursday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

30-year-old woman suffers burns while lighting stove, critical

mumbai Updated: Oct 04, 2010 02:55 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

A 30-year-old woman sustained 65 per cent burns after she was engulfed in flames while trying to light a stove at her residence in Andheri on Saturday.

The police said Shenaz Shaikh (30) is a resident of Janata Colony slums in the Gilbert Hill area of Andheri (West). They said Shenaz was trying to light the stove, when she accidentally spilt kerosene, which caught fire and spread through the shanty, engulfing her.

Shenaz lives with her husband Hasan Shaikh (32). The incident reportedly took place when Hasan, a tailor, had come home for lunch.

Hasan, along with neighbours, rescued Shenaz and rushed her to Cooper Hospital where she is said to be in critical condition. Hasan has also sustained burns on his hands, said police sub inspector K Patil of DN Nagar police station. The couple has two children aged five and 11 years.

Senior police inspector V Bhoite of DN Nagar police station said, “It appears to be an accident. So far we do not suspect any foul play.”