Dr Rajan Palav, a 35-year-old lecturer in J J Hospital, Byculla, succumbed to dengue on Monday afternoon at P D Hinduja Hospital, Mahim.
Palav had tested positive for dengue and had been admitted to the hospital since Thursday evening.
“The patient had already developed encephalitis (inflammation of the brain) when he was brought to our hospital and he developed other neurological complications. We would have been able to treat him had he been brought to us earlier,” said Dr Gustad Davar, medical director, P D Hinduja Hospital.
According to Dr T P Lahane, dean, JJ Hospital, Palav approached their hospital doctors for treatment only last Wednesday.
“He had been treating himself at home for a few days and approached JJ doctors for treatment only after he had nosebleeds. He tested positive for dengue on Thursday morning,” said Lahane.
“The same evening, on his family’s insistence, he was discharged from JJ hospital against medical advice and admitted to PD Hinduja Hospital.”
Dr Palav, who was a lecturer at the ENT (ear, nose, throat) department at J J Hospital, was also an assistant warden at the hospital’s boys’ hostel.
Several doctors associated with the hospital have also alleged that the improper manner in which biomedical waste is disposed off at the hospital has caused a sharp rise in infections, especially malaria, which affect many doctors and medical students.
“Every morning, the biomedical waste from J J Hospital is very carelessly dumped before it’s picked up by garbage vans. Stray dogs loiter around the area, waiting to eat the waste. I cannot imagine how many diseases this practice spreads in the campus,” said Dr A Malik, president, B-Ward Medical Doctors Association.