4 food-stalls gutted after fire breaks out at Goregaon mall | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 04, 2016-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

4 food-stalls gutted after fire breaks out at Goregaon mall

mumbai Updated: Jul 26, 2012 01:27 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

A fire broke out at the Oberoi mall in Goregaon (East) on Wednesday, destroying around four food-stalls. No casualties were reported.

Police said the fire started on the third floor of the shopping complex at a food-stall called ‘Maroosh’ around 10.24 am. The fire then spread to three other food-stalls on the same floor.

SH Nesrikar, deputy fire officer, Andheri, said. “We received a call from employees at the mall and sent eight fire engines and eight water tankers to the spot. The fire was brought under control within 30 minutes. We are investigating the reasons, which will only be confirmed after interrogating the employees at the food court.” Nesrikar said a special officer would investigate the incident.

In an official statement issued by the Oberoi Mall, the management said it regretted the inconvenience caused to its patrons. “The mall will reopen at the earliest,” the statement read.

The Dindoshi police, meanwhile, have registered the incident and are now conducting inquiries to find out if any kind of negligence led to the fire. “Fire officers will conduct an inquiry about the cause of fire and submit their report to us. We will then investigate the case accordingly and if negligence is the cause, we will press relevant charges against those responsible,” said Jaywant Mane, senior inspector of Dindoshi police station.

Commenting on the estimated damage to property, Mane said, “The insurance survey officers are in the process of estimating the losses.”

In October 2011, after a fire broke out in Indraprastha shopping centre at Borivli, the BMC had asked the fire brigade to carry out a fire audit of all malls in the city. The fire brigade had even served notices to shopping malls in the city. However, no action was taken after that.