Four jihadis have sneaked into Mumbai with the intention of causing "violent attacks that will cause wide disruption", the police crime branch announced at an emergency media conference late on Thursday night.
The warning comes two days after the home ministry issued an alert about the incursion of three suspected terrorists in Ahmedabad and Mumbai.
Joint commissioner of police, crime, Himanshu Roy said the jihadis belong to Pakistan-based terror outfit Lashkar-e-Tayyeba, but did not reveal their nationalities. He said they had entered Mumbai a few days ago with the intention of carrying out violence during the festive season.
The suspects, Roy said, had been identified as Abdul Kasim Mussa, Noor Abu Ilahai, Walid Jinah and Mehfooz Alam. They were in the 20-30 age group.
"They are extremely dangerous. They have recently entered the city with their disruptive plans," Roy said while releasing the photograph of Walid Jinnah. He refused to disclose how the police had got the photograph.
"As we have one of their photographs, it would mean that we have plentiful information about them. We are tracking them and soon would be able to make a breakthrough."
He said special teams have been formed to track them.
Roy released an advisory for citizens and requested them to remain alert during the festive season. A dedicated police hotline — 22633333 — has been set up for information on anyone resembling the man in the photograph.
Roy said security had been stepped up across the city. Uniformed and plainclothes policemen have been deployed. Strike forces like the Quick Response Team and Force One have been kept on battle ready mode.
In September, just before the Ganpati festival, the police had released the photographs of two suspected members of Bangladesh-based jihadi outfit Harkat ul Jihadi Islami.
Asked about them, Roy said, "The wide publicity given to the news (of their entry into the city) is believed to have acted as a prevention and the festivities went off peacefully."