A fire broke out in some biscuit godowns in the Indian Corporation Compound in Gundavali near Bhiwandi early Wednesday morning. Five godowns, all containing biscuits of various brands, were gutted in the fire. No casualty or injuries were reported.
The fire brigade from Bhiwandi Nizampura Municipal Corporation was called in around 6 am and firefighting and cooling operations went on till late in the evening. Fire officials said it was too early to comment on the cause of the fire.
Three fire engines and 10-12 water tankers were pressed into service.
"The Indian Corporation compound comes under the gram panchayat and houses several godowns, not just biscuit godowns. When we reached the spot, there was a lot of smoke. We had to break open the shutters to enter. There were no ventilators in the godown and the smoke had collected inside. We had to remove a few slabs from the terrace in order to let the smoke out and see where exactly the fire had broken out," said chief fire officer D N Salvi.
Also, the fire had time to spread as the water tankers took some time to reach the spot, said Salvi.