More than 500 students from the Indian Institute of Technology-Bombay (IIT-B) are suspected to have suffered from food poisoning after they ate Chinese food at the institute’s mess on Sunday night.
At present, six students are still admitted at the IIT-B hospital and are likely to be discharged on Wednesday. As students from three hostels, which have a common mess, fell sick on Monday, institute officials suspect that the food served could have been contaminated.
“Chinese was served on Sunday night and we suspect that it could have been contaminated either through the water or vegetables. The caterers will be fined. We will investigate the matter thoroughly,” said Urjit Yajnik, dean of student affairs at the institute.