More than 60 stalls were gutted in a fire which broke out at the Gazebo Shopping Centre on Linking Road in Bandra (West) on Tuesday morning.
Fire brigade officials said it took an hour to douse the fire that broke out at 7am. Short circuit is suspected to be the cause of the fire.
“Four fire engines and two water tankers were pressed into service. Nobody was injured as the incident happened early morning,” said an official from the fire brigade.
The shopping centre has stalls on both sides of the five-feet passage. “The shops were made of wood and tin sheds and hence the fire spread to all the stalls gutting the entire shopping centre,” said the officer
“We are waiting for the report from the fire department to ascertain the cause of the fire. Only after that will we learn if there was any negligence. So far we have not registered any case,” said Police Inspector Mangesh Pote of Khar police station.
The tenants of the shopping centre alleged that the owner of the centre had set the centre on fire as there was a dispute between them.
Siddique Taraporewala (21), who owns a garment shop at the centre, said: “I got to know about the fire at 8am after which I informed others and rushed to the spot. The fire has destroyed property worth more than Rs 3 crore.”