7/11 blasts: Finally, justice for us, says Parag Sawant’s family

  • Badri Chatterjee and Misbaah Mansuri, Hindustan Times, Mumbai
  • Updated: Sep 13, 2015 21:42 IST

On Friday, when a special court convicted 12 people for the 2006 Mumbai local train blasts, Jayaprakash Sawant was in the courtroom to listen to the verdict.

Sawant’s son, Parag, had passed away on July 7 this year at PD Hinduja Hospital, Mahim, after a nine-year struggle to fight injuries sustained in the blast at Mira Road.

He was coming home to Bhayandar from his work place in Andheri when the bomb exploded.

“My father will go to the court on Monday too to hear the final verdict. We know my brother will not come back, but even though justice may have been delayed, it has finally come for our family,” said Pratik, Parag’s brother.

“My father, mother and my brother’s wife have got some relief from the court’s decision.”

Parag, who was 27 when he was injured, had been in a vegetative state and had undergone multiple operations to treat his brain injuries.

Read: 12 convicted in 2006 Mumbai train blasts, sentencing on Monday

He was on supportive care and physiotherapy, and while he had shown signs of improvement in 2013, his condition deteriorated later.

Parag has left behind a wife, Preeti, and a daughter who was born three months after the blasts.

Like the Sawants, other victims of the terror attack felt justice may have been delayed but not denied. Mahendra Pitale, 42, a resident of Mira Road, lost his left hand in the blasts. He was travelling from Vile Parle to Borivli when the train he was in was struck by a bomb at Jogeshwari.

“It felt good that the accused were found guilty. Like me, those who were injured or lost family members received a mental compensation. The decision has come late but, as they say, it is better late than never,” he said.


also read

Pujari calls restaurant after his henchman slurs, fails to deliver
Show comments