7 arrested for killing 17-year-old in Thane | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 18, 2017-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

7 arrested for killing 17-year-old in Thane

mumbai Updated: Mar 16, 2010 02:18 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

Seven men beat to death a 17-year-old Dahisar resident at Thane railway station on Monday morning. The Thane Government Railway Police arrested them for murder and rioting.

The victim, Sunil Kurmi, a vegetable vendor, had gone to Haji Malang in Kalyan, as part of a group taken there by his brother Dayashankar’s boss, Pervez Ansari (38), who exports vehicle spares.

“Ansari recently had a daughter, for whom he had wished at Haji Malang. On Saturday, he took his friends and employees there to show his gratitude. On Sunday, they reached Kalyan by bus, then took the last local, which was Thane-bound. They were looking for a ride back home and were checking with autorickshaw drivers.”

“One of the drivers, Prashant Jagdale (22), told them they would need two rickshaws, which would cost them Rs 300 each. Ansari told them they didn’t have enough money and was moving ahead to check with other drivers,” said assistant commissioner of police (Kalyan division) P.Y. Sardar.

This annoyed Jagdale, who called his friends. They all began assaulting Ansari’s group with the sticks that the group had bought from Haji Malang. While the rest of the victims managed to escape, Kurmi was beaten badly. He was rushed to Thane Civil Hospital, where he was declared dead before admission.

Ansari and his friend Sheikh Arif (37) suffered injuries. The arrested are Sudhir Patil (22), Chetan Mokal (26), Aniket Muluk (19), Kamlesh Khare (20), Navin Koli (22) and Umesh Tandel (23).

While Patil, Muluk and Tandel work in private jobs, Mokal is a private vehicle driver, Khare is in cellphone servicing and Koli is an ITI student.

“The auto driver (Jagdale) approached us and asked where we wanted to go. When we told him, he asked for Rs 600,” said Dayashankar.

“When we refused to pay them Rs 600 and began taking the stairs of the foot overbridge to go to the west, the driver came there with other people, snatched our sticks and started beating us,” he added.

During the assault, Ansari asked Dayashankar to get the police. While the rest of Ansari’s group escaped, Dayashankar returned to find his brother Kurmi badly beaten up.

“The police caught all seven men. My brother was in bad shape,” he said.

The accused will be produced at the Kalyan railway court on Tuesday.