7 firemen in hospital after second gas leakEight people affected by the second gas leak in the Mumbai Port Trust area near Sewri, were admitted to hospital on Thursday.
Seven of these are firemen, who were on duty on Thursday morning when they inhaled the chlorine gas that escaped one of the cylinders as the gas was being neutralised.
"The firemen were complaining of breathlessness when they came in. But their condition is stable," said Dr Mukund Kelkar, chief medical officer, Mumbai Port Trust Hospital at Wadala.
One of the victims was admitted to KEM Hospital, Parel.
"His condition is fine," said the hospital's Dean Dr Sanjay Oak.
The port trust hospital also reported a rise in the number of people affected by the gas leak at the Out Patients Department (OPD) on Thursday.
"Today, we had more OPD patients with complaints like burning eyes, nausea and inflammation of the throat because of the gas leak. But these were minor cases that were treated and sent home," said Dr J. Tamaskar, medical superintendent, Mumbai Port Trust Hospital.
Of the 123 patients who had been admitted to various hospitals after Wednesday's leak, 97 were discharged on Thursday.
JJ Hospital, Byculla, which had admitted 100 patients, discharged 85 while the Mumbai Port Trust Hospital discharged 12 of 25 patients.
The condition of all patients is stable.
"We have six patients in the critical care unit. They still have complaints of heaviness in the chest. But their condition is stable," said Dr TP Lahane, dean of J J Hospital.
Constable Tanaji Jadhav of Sewri police station and two customs officials, who were admitted to Balaji Hospital, Byculla, on Wednesday, are also stable.