7-yr-old gets electric shock while flying kite | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 10, 2016-Saturday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

7-yr-old gets electric shock while flying kite

mumbai Updated: Jan 11, 2011 02:05 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

A seven-year-old boy suffered severe injuries after he got electric shock while flying kite near railway tracks on Monday.

Nathu Naresh was flying kite on the roof of slum located on the Swami Vivekanand Road in Borivli around 4.15pm when he received an electric shock as the glass and metal-coated string of the kite came in touch with the cable of overhead equipment (OHE).

“The victim wasn’t standing inside the railway premises so he got the shock,” said chief PRO, S Chandrayan of Western Railway. Officials believe that the string carried the flow of current as a high voltage of 25,000-volt Alternating Current supplies the trains.

Nathu was immediately taken to Bhagwati Hospital, where he is recuperating after suffering from burn injuries. The WR had recently published an advisory in newspapers asking people not to fly kites during Makar Sankranti near the railway tracks. If the strings of two or more kites get entangled to the OHE cable, it can result in failure of power supply. The strings when entangled with the OHE cables can become a conductor of electricity, and result in small quantum of electricity passing through it.

tags