77-year-old murdered in Mumbai flat, suspect seen on building CCTV

  • HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times, Mumbai
  • Updated: Jun 08, 2016 10:43 IST
Manjulaben Manilal Vora, a 77-year-old woman, was murdered in her flat in Matunga on Monday.

Manjulaben Manilal Vora, a 77-year-old woman, was murdered in her flat in Matunga on Monday. The suspected killer, believed to be in his 30s, escaped after the woman’s family doctor, whom she had called earlier in the day, asked him where she was. Cash and valuables in the flat were untouched, so the police believe that the killer fled in a panic.

CCTV camera footage showed the suspect entering and exiting Pranav building, and on the fifth floor, where Vora lived. Pranav building is located near Nappu Garden in Matunga (East).

Vora lived in a 3-BHK apartment in the seven-storey building with her brother Ravilal Doshi, 85. She was the landlord of the plot on which the building was re-developed in 2004 and was given a sum of money and the 3-BHK flat. Vora’s husband died some years ago and her daughter lives elsewhere.

On Monday, she telephoned Dr Dilip Shah, her family doctor, as Doshi complained that his legs were swollen.

Dr Shah arrived at 7.40pm and rang the doorbell, but got no response. He went back downstairs and enquired with the watchman, who called Vora’s intercom. A man picked up the call, so Dr Shah decided to go back upstairs.

There, he saw a man in his thirties standing near the door. Dr Shah asked him about Vora and he said she was inside the flat. When the doctor entered the flat, he saw Vora lying dead in the kitchen, her throat slit. CCTV footage showed the killer fleeing when Dr Shah went inside.

Doshi was also inside but was unable to narrate what had happened. An officer from Matunga police station said, “The doctor is the key witness as he saw the suspect close-up. We have made a sketch based on his description.”

The police inspected the flat but found no valuables missing. “Her bangles and other valuables were untouched. We suspect that the accused panicked when the doctor arrived and fled the scene,” the officer added.

also read

Constable feared drowned in Thane creek
Show comments