8 yrs after blasts, 7/11 victim dies | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 23, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

8 yrs after blasts, 7/11 victim dies

mumbai Updated: May 03, 2013 15:25 IST
Priyanka Vora
Priyanka Vora
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

Amit Singh, a victim of the July 11, 2006 serial train blasts, succumbed to his injuries on Thursday evening at Jaslok Hospital, Peddar Road. Singh’s death dashed all hopes of a miraculous recovery that parents Dinesh and Meena had for their son.

Hospital authorities said that Singh was battling severe lung infection for the last one week. “There have been various ups and down in his treatment, but this time doctors could not save him,” said a hospital official.

Staff at the hospital recalled seeing Singh’s mother Meena diligently coming to the hospital every day, massaging her son’s legs and pleading with him to stand. “She once came to me saying that her son was speaking to her. It was her imagination as Singh, throughout his hospital stay, was in a deep coma because of a severe head injury he sustained,” said Dr (Col) RR Pulgaonkar, chief executive officer, Jaslok Hospital.

In 2006, when serial blasts ripped local trains in Mumbai, Singh was just 22 years old and a young commerce graduate when the incident changed everything forever.

During his stay at the high dependence unit of Jaslok Hospital, senior politicians visited him on anniversaries of that fateful day, promising various kinds of help. But the entire cost of his hospitalisation was borne by the Western Railway board.

“His condition was mostly stable but it had started deteriorating recently and we informed his parents. They were shocked as they were not expecting this,” said Dr Mayur Patel, intensivist at the hospital, adding that even nurses at the high dependency unit were saddened.

Singh was a resident of Virar. The hospital arranged for an ambulance to transport his body to Virar where his last rites will be conducted.

Another train blast victim, Parag Sawant, admitted to PD Hinduja Hospital, has been showing signs of improvement.