In a bid to create awareness among citizens, the anti-corruption bureau (ACB) has published a list of different kinds of bribes that common citizens are asked to pay, while trying to avail of services at different government departments.
Officers said the list will help alert citizens about the possible demands for bribe that they may encounter. The ACB has listed 359 kinds of bribes that are demanded across various government departments. The list has been prepared after analysing data on the complaints received by the ACB since 2013.
The ACB also wants citizens to make use of technology to inform them when they are asked to cough up bribes. The anti-graft body has announced a mobile application available at acbmaharashtra.net, using which citizens can file complaints within minutes of receiving a bribe demand.
“The intention behind the list is to make people aware of various bribe demands across departments. We advise people to shoot audio clips or videos, if possible, and inform us through the application,” said Praveen Dixit, director general of police, ACB.
The list sheds light on the problems faced by the common man while trying to get work done at government offices. It lists bribes asked from farmers who lost crops in rains and approached the government for funds, from poor patients who wanted their medical bills cleared by government, or from those seeking vehicle insurance.
“There are many instances of corruption even in welfare schemes that are implemented for the people. This needs to be reported,” said Dixit.
ACB officials said that many a time, complainants are unaware that they are being made to pay bribes, and believe that the demand is legitimate and legal. “Whenever one is asked to pay money, he or she should insist on a valid receipt. We want people to go through the list on our website so that they aware of the practices of government servants who want to make money. Citizens are not alone in fighting corruption. The ACB officers will assist and guide them when they try to lodge a complaint, and help trap the corrupt,” said Dixit.
The revenue, home and police departments have the highest numbers of corrupt officials who have demanded bribes in return for services.
LIST OF DIFFERENT KINDS OF BRIBES PUBLISHED BY THE ACB:
Revenue department officials often ask for bribes in exchange for:
* Permission for construction of new homes
* Permission for construction of brick kilns
* Allotment of non-agricultural (NA) land
* Division of land
* Government aide for spring irrigation
* Issuing solvency certificates
Home department officials and the police often ask for bribes in exchange for:
* Initiating action against an accused
* Not seizing vehicle or any object used in a crime
* Returning licences and vehicles that have been seized
* Not initiating action against a hotel or garage
* Allowing hawking in local trains
* Threatening to file a false complaint, threatening arrest
* Cooperation in investigations
Officials of the town planning department often ask for bribes in exchange for:
* Issuing no-objection certificates
* Permission to construct additional rooms
* Not imposing property tax
* Sanctioning of bills
Officials of the education department often ask for bribes in exchange for:
* Issuing school certificates
* Helping suspended students
* Admission to schools
* Funds for school
Officials of the health department often ask for bribes in exchange for:
* Issuing health certificates
* Sanctioning bills
* Permission for licence to sell medicines
* Allotting beds in maternity wards
* Helping people get abortions
* Collecting blood samples
Officials of the forest department often ask for bribes in exchange for:
* Not taking action against vehicles involved in smuggling of forest goods
* Not taking action against encroachers
* Not taking action against seized vehicles
* Not taking action against furniture shops involved in using forest wood