Accused confesses, lawyers say it was forced out of him | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 07, 2016-Wednesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Accused confesses, lawyers say it was forced out of him

mumbai Updated: Mar 23, 2012 01:36 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

Nearly 50 days after being in the Anti-Terrorism Squad’s custody for four different cases, 13/7 blast accused Nadeem Aktar Asfak Sheikh has confessed. He was arrested earlier in a fake SIM card case and was then charged in three cases pertaining to the 13/7 blasts.

On Thursday, his lawyers said in court that they had moved an application that Sheikh had not wanted to confess, and the ATS had forced his confession out of him.

However, after this, Sheikh passed a handwritten note to the magistrate saying he did not want to continue with his current lawyers. His lawyers said this was a tactic by the ATS and that the handwritten note was signed after they moved the application in court a few days back. The court told the defence lawyers that the confession had been recorded as per law.

Sheikh, a Darbhanga resident, was arrested by the ATS from Antop Hill in a fake SIM card case. Later, on January 23, he was formally arrested in the 13/7 blasts case. According to the ATS, Nadeem was a friend of Naquee Ahmed, another accused arrested in the case. He came in contact with Yasin Bhatkal, the main accused still wanted in the case, at Darbhanga and moved to Antop Hill.

During the interrogation, ATS found that Sheikh helped Ahmed in stealing two Activa scooters (MH 01 WA 3042- from CP Tank and MH 12 J 6502 from near the Harkisondas hospital) on July 12, 2011, a day before the blasts. “These scooters were used for the blasts at Zaveri Bazar and Opera House: explosives were planted in them. The ATS has recovered duplicate keys for the scooters from the accused,” ATS officials said. The two had also stolen two more motorcycles later in August 2011. These were sent to Darbhanga by train.