Actor’s suicide: Court rejects starlet’s plea | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 24, 2017-Friday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Actor’s suicide: Court rejects starlet’s plea

mumbai Updated: Nov 17, 2010 01:36 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Lavina Bhatia

The ordeal is not yet over for small-time actor Lavina Bhatia, who has been charged with abetting the suicide of actor Kunal Singh two years ago.

The special Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) court on Tuesday rejected Bhatia’s discharge application.

In her application, which was filed on October 7, Bhatia had claimed that there was no evidence against her and the police had given her a clean chit.

On February 6, 2008, Singh, 28, who had starred in Dil Hi Dil Main opposite Sonali Bendre, was found hanging from the ceiling fan from his Oshiwara flat.

Bhatia, who was with Singh in the apartment at that time of the incident, had claimed she went into the bathroom and returned to find him hanging from the fan.

The police believed her suicide theory and closed the case.

But Singh’s father, Lt Col Rajendra Singh (retd), had approached the high court in August 2008, seeking a fresh investigation by an independent agency.

Rajendra had claimed that there were injuries on his son’s back and other parts of the body indicating there was a scuffle.

Bhatia had been arrested in November 2009, but had been released on bail in December. The same month, the case was transferred to the CBI for a fresh probe.

Following the high court order, the CBI registered a case of abetment of suicide against Bhatia.

The CBI alleged that Singh and Bhatia had an affair, which created a conflict between his [Kunal’s] wife, Anuradha, and Bhatia.

CBI officials told the court that they have incriminating material against Bhatia and had recorded statements of friends, who said Singh and Bhatia were in a “turbulent relationship”.

Principal Judge ML Thailyani rejected Bhatia’s discharge application and directed the special CBI court to frame charges against her on November 22.