Admission to colleges can’t start without court nod | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 09, 2016-Friday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Admission to colleges can’t start without court nod

mumbai Updated: Jun 11, 2010 02:30 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

In a repeat of the uncertainty that surrounded junior college admissions in the past two years, admissions based on the best five policy this year can proceed only after the Maharashtra government seeks the permission of the Bombay High Court.

“This time we will not permit anything unless the issue is resolved completely,” said Justice J.N. Patel on Thursday, while adjourning further hearing of a plea filed by 21 parents of ICSE students. “Why that [best five] option is not made available to [ICSE students]?”

On February 25, the state had issued a government resolution allowing junior colleges to consider the highest marks obtained by SSC students in five of the six subjects in their Class 10 board exams. Earlier, an aggregate of all six subjects was considered.

The parents’ lawyer pointed out that only SSC students would benefit from this policy. The ICSE board has a similar practice of considering a student’s best five scores.

The parents moved court last week, challenging government’s decision, claiming that the policy was issued on the basis of a misconception about the manner in which ICSE follow its best five policy. Junior colleges apply this policy while admitting their own Class 10 ICSE students.

Advocate Deepa Chavan, who argued for the state, supported the government’s decision and said it was issued after deliberation and public hearing and that 16 lakh SSC students would be affected by the court’s decision.