The family of Adnan Patrawala, the 16-year-old who was allegedly kidnapped and murdered in August 2007, expressed shocked and disapproved of the Mumbai sessions court’s verdict on Monday acquitting the four accused who had then been charged with the boy’s kidnapping and murder.
“I was on my way to Pune for a business meeting on Monday when I got a call informing that the accused had been acquitted. I was shocked beyond expression and came back to be with my family,” said Aslam Patrawala, Adnan’s father.
Patrawala said that he was hopeful of a verdict in their favour. “I have read every word of the charge sheet and was positive about the work done by the police and my lawyer. I do not know what went wrong and on what grounds the accused were acquitted,” said Aslam.
Adnan’s mother Lubina also said that the court’s verdict has come as a shock. “My son has been denied justice. We have been waiting for the verdict since the past four years, and did not anticipate this day will turn out to be a disappointment. We were confident about our case, the court’s verdict has shocked us,” she said.
An inconsolable Lubina said that she had been praying that the perpetrators are brought to justice. “Adnan was a young boy who was mercilessly killed. We are going to try our best to ensure that he gets the justice due to him and those responsible are punished fairly. If not, people will have the guts to commit crimes, knowing that they can get away with whatever they do,” she said.
Adnan’s relatives, who were present at his 14th-floor residence in Oshiwara also expressed disappointment. “The accused have been acquitted. Is everyone saying that no one killed Adnan? If no one killed Adnan, how did he die?” questioned Sophia Patel, the boy’s aunt.
Patrawala said he will appeal against the verdict in the high court. “We are not going to give up the fight for justice and will appeal in the high court. We will do everything it takes within the ambit of law to ensure the perpetrators are punished,” he said.