The senate of the Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay (IIT-B) accepted the admission reforms proposed by the IIT Council, with one modification at its special meeting on Wednesday.
The senate has proposed that instead of the top 1.5 lakh aspirants, who clear the first test, only the top 50,000 should be allowed to take the second exam.
“There was a lot of debate on why there should be 1.5 lakh students for the advanced exam. Now that National Institutes of Technology (NITs) are not part of the advanced exam, we all suggested that the number should be less,” said professor Narasimhan, All India IIT Faculty Federation President.
The 15 IITs offer about 10,000 seats and the IIT-B senate has suggested shortlisting 50,000 students, five times the number of seats.
Restricting the number of people taking the advanced test to 50,000 would also make it more manageable to conduct the test, said CV Tomy, secretary of the Faculty Federation of IIT-B.
“Our senate sub-committee had earlier suggested this number. Details on the kind of test and other modalities will be worked out by the Joint Admission Board,” added Tomy.
On June 27, the IIT Council had proposed that from 2013, IIT aspirants will have to clear two written exams — the mains and then an advanced exam — as well as be within the top 20% of their boards, which will calculated as a percentile.
Till 2012, a student’s eligibility to take the IIT entrance test was a minimum score of 60% in the board exams.
The new proposal has to be debated and ratified by the senates of the seven old IITs. After all the senates have discussed the proposal, it will be sent back to the Council.
The IIT-B senate meeting finally happened on Wednesday after being postponed twice in the past two months.